Saturday, April 7, 2018

Reading 08: Mobile Games and Fortnite Mobile

Game Review: Fortnite Mobile is a pretty great game. It is exactly like the console variant and has pretty great controls despite being entirely touch screen. You can also play with players on their consoles or other friends on their mobile devices in squad mode. What I like the most is the level of detail and intricacy there is in the map. The map is also incredibly large and has areas on it that would alone be the size of a large Call of Duty map. My favorite part of the game is not even killing the other players but building and destroying structures on the map. It feels Like Minecraft with better combat. The one life concept also makes the game frustratingly fun. While dying in Call of Duty was annoying it wasn't the end of your match. The stakes are higher and it makes being the last survivor much more satisfying. Overall, I would highly recommend Fortnite Mobile to any friend who likes combat strategy games.

Image result for fortnite mobile

Discussion: I'm perfectly fine with mobile gaming becoming a larger segment of the gaming industry. I think the nice part of mobile gaming is that there is a lower barrier to entry than console gaming. I've only spent a few dollars total on all the games I've played on my mobile device. I think this is democratizing gaming and not debasing it because there are many high quality games that come for the mobile device. The Fortnite Mobile game I wrote about is free to play with micro transactions to customize character aesthetics. A lot of people give mobile games grief about micro transactions, but I would argue that there are equally good and bad examples of their use in the game. I think the pay to win strategy of micro transactions is not very fun because players that pay less have a strategic disadvantage in gameplay. I think transactions for aesthetic reasons are fine. I don't care if I am the only one rocking the newb default attire. Here is the link to my presentation this week on micro transactions for reference https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1kaJpVQ91vLJsuIVFKhRJR5OleedSvsSveUGEWlvieC0/edit#slide=id.p

No comments:

Post a Comment